Warring Fronts RPG Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warring Fronts RPG Forum

Warring Fronts is a medieval fantasy nation RPG forum.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Questions / Suggestions

Go down 
+7
Zhufor
Bynaar
Rambo'neil
Ezria
Talis
Jaymes
Mille Sessau
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Mille Sessau
Admin

Questions / Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Questions / Suggestions   Questions / Suggestions Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 5:32 pm

Confused? Ask your questions here!

Something look unbalanced? Bring it up here!
Back to top Go down
http://warringfronts.forumotion.com
Talis

PostSubject: Re: Questions / Suggestions   Questions / Suggestions Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 6:41 pm

There seems to be a rather fatal flaw with your cultural points system. The other two focus elements (Military and Economic) have abundant options to spend their points on - things like troops, buildings, trade, etc, that keep the points from stockpiling. Cultural Points are accumulated though, and despite the lack of anything to spend them on, they accrue every week. This means that a new nation which gains a lot of culture is still going to be outstripped by an old nation that has had time to earn culture. Not only that, but since every nation will eventually reach 100 culture and max out, there is little difference between them.

There are a couple ways to fix the problem. One option would be to not have culture points increase, but I'm certain you want to avoid that one, which leaves option #2: making culture points expendable. Perhaps instead of simply stockpiling points, exerting influence on neighbors should cost points? Culture points might also be used for things like throwing festivals, religious ceremonies, holidays, appeals to patriotism... that kind of thing.

--

I noticed that the ships no longer use cannons. I approve.

I also noticed that there are several traits from the old warring fronts that are missing. I'll especially miss the colonialism trait, although I suppose mercantilism counts as a substitute. Can't wait to see the finished options.
Back to top Go down
Mille Sessau
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Questions / Suggestions   Questions / Suggestions Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 6:44 pm

I like option 2 for the culture. That works.

Also, I loved the Colonialism trait but nobody in Warring Fronts v1.0 seemed to care for it, haha.

I think I'll change the culture up right now. Good thinking Talis. I know you want to make a kingdom!
Back to top Go down
Jaymes

Jaymes

PostSubject: Re: Questions / Suggestions   Questions / Suggestions Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 2:01 pm

Question about the Confederacy Goverment. Can it be like three different tribes/groups of the same race? Also if you have three different races will you gain all their positive factors as well as their negative factors or will that population within the confederacy only receive those positive and negative factors?

Another question is why can't Dwarves and Elves be in the same confederacy yet dwarves and goblins can? Normally I've always read in fantasy books dwarves never got along with orcs or goblins but could get along with Humans, Halflings, and Elves. Never read anything about Lizardmen or Avians (well maybe Lizardmen but they were called something else)

Heavy Resourcing is the description just fluff to provide the reason for decreased cultural points? Could it also be because the race is naturally talented at mining so most do it and just have less time to spend on other things that would provide Cultural Points thus you still get the desired result but for RP purposes a player can describe their nation better?

Martial Traddition question. Taking prisioners do they have to be soldiers or can they be suspected people among a local population that your nations captured? Like you takeover an empires city and within a week arrest X number of prisioners who are suspected of attempting to rebel against the new goverment?

Question about the resource nodes. Is there any way to, in the future find another resource within you lands or is it set in stone that you can only ever have two resource nodes?

Military, will there be a cap? Like If you have 20K population is there a cap of a certain percentage of the population that can become soldiers? Otherwise there could be a risk of large nations over time having an army that's like over 20% of their population which is a large amount of military personel. Maybe a cap might be wise with orcs and humans with the 2 MP per 1000 citizens having a slightly higher cap?

Race's. All races are different fundimentally regarding military powers. A light infantry of Orc will differ from one of elves and goblins number wise but will be effectively still just a light infantry company yes? Think that's all the questions I got.
Back to top Go down
Mille Sessau
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Questions / Suggestions   Questions / Suggestions Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 2:21 pm

Jaymes wrote:
Question about the Confederacy Goverment. Can it be like three different tribes/groups of the same race? Also if you have three different races will you gain all their positive factors as well as their negative factors or will that population within the confederacy only receive those positive and negative factors?

It can be the same races, for example all Humans, or all Goblins. Secondly, that's a good point. You'll have to have a "primary race" where you get those pros and cons. Like if you have Orcs, Dwarves and Goblins, you can choose the Orcs as the Primary Race to get the 3 MP per 1,000. Good point.

Quote :
Another question is why can't Dwarves and Elves be in the same confederacy yet dwarves and goblins can? Normally I've always read in fantasy books dwarves never got along with orcs or goblins but could get along with Humans, Halflings, and Elves. Never read anything about Lizardmen or Avians (well maybe Lizardmen but they were called something else)

If you have Dwarves and Goblins within a Confederacy, you'll have to have fluff reasons for doing so. Like if you have happy go lucky halflings and orcs than the orcs better be honorable good orcs. The reason Dwarves and Elves can't be is that fantasy wise they are always at odds, and usually only come together in times of great peril. Avians are akin to Harpies and Winglies, Lizardmen are akin to Naga.

Quote :
Heavy Resourcing is the description just fluff to provide the reason for decreased cultural points? Could it also be because the race is naturally talented at mining so most do it and just have less time to spend on other things that would provide Cultural Points thus you still get the desired result but for RP purposes a player can describe their nation better?

Heavy Resourcing gives decreased cultural points because the kingdom is just tearing up the land to get as many resources as possible, which in a medieval world is generally frowned upon as resources are finite.

Quote :
Martial Traddition question. Taking prisioners do they have to be soldiers or can they be suspected people among a local population that your nations captured? Like you takeover an empires city and within a week arrest X number of prisioners who are suspected of attempting to rebel against the new goverment?

You can take citizens yes, I'll clarify that in the trait.

Quote :
Question about the resource nodes. Is there any way to, in the future find another resource within you lands or is it set in stone that you can only ever have two resource nodes?

No, I need to clarify that as well. Yes, as you RP your kingdom will discover additional resource nodes. This rewards kingdoms that are active and hurts kingdoms that are inactive.

Quote :
Military, will there be a cap? Like If you have 20K population is there a cap of a certain percentage of the population that can become soldiers? Otherwise there could be a risk of large nations over time having an army that's like over 20% of their population which is a large amount of military personel. Maybe a cap might be wise with orcs and humans with the 2 MP per 1000 citizens having a slightly higher cap?

A cap is not present, if you want to haul 20% of your standing population into the military, that's possible. It will not bode well for your economy but a cap will already complicate a somewhat complicated system.

Quote :
Race's. All races are different fundamentally regarding military powers. A light infantry of Orc will differ from one of elves and goblins number wise but will be effectively still just a light infantry company yes? Think that's all the questions I got.

A Light Infantry Company is 300 soldiers for all races. However, much like Warping Empires your traits are what determine whether or not your soldiers are better, fast, et cetera.
Back to top Go down
Talis
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Questions / Suggestions   Questions / Suggestions Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 7:03 pm

Thought I would throw some ideas at you and see what you thought. A lot of these are things I've considered for my own forum, but might fit here.

Idea: Epics. These would be extremely expensive and extremely powerful purchases that could provide an empire with a notable advantage or disadvantage. Here are some ideas for epics:

Great Hero - A famous hero who embodies all the kingdom stands for. His mere presence inspires his allies, filling citizens with patriotic pride and soldiers with courage. Enemies fear him, and in battle he is a great warrior. If the kingdom understands magic than he will be skilled in its use as well. Although he is extremely difficult to kill, the great hero can die, and his death would cause a period of bereavement and demoralization for his country.
What he costs: A massive helping of cultural points and a lesser amount of military points.

Monument - A great tomb that will last ten thousand years, a tower that looks down upon everything around it, or perhaps a great temple of unmatched proportions. The monument is a building of epic proportions that reveals the glory of the kingdom to all who witness it.
What it costs: weeks worth of economic points. Has to be built over several updates, with an expenditure every update (e.g. 20 economic points a week for three weeks.)
What it provides: counts as a permanent, continuous level 3 cultural influence

Crusade - A holy war, undertaken in the name of a great cause against a specific enemy. A crusade is not necessarily religious, but always follows some higher cause. A crusade provides an instant army, as commoners and citizens flock to its banner. This crusader army is motivated by zeal and purpose, and will never cease fighting for its purpose until it is destroyed or succeeds.
What it costs: A very large amount of Military Points, and a side helping of cultural points.
What it provides: Creates an instant army that has better morale and fighting ability, but can only be used for the purpose of the crusade
Back to top Go down
Mille Sessau
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Questions / Suggestions   Questions / Suggestions Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 7:34 pm

I like all three ideas!

If anything I kind of need a tangible way to gauge cultural growth besides simy the three levels so people know what kind of effect culture is having on their kingdom.
Back to top Go down
Ezria

PostSubject: Re: Questions / Suggestions   Questions / Suggestions Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 7:55 am

Avian cavalry mounts wouldn't have wings right? They'd be ground based?
Back to top Go down
Mille Sessau
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Questions / Suggestions   Questions / Suggestions Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 8:06 am

They can have wings. When I RP'd an Avian kingdom I used gryphons, but yes Avian cavalry can not fly.

Back to top Go down
Ezria

PostSubject: Re: Questions / Suggestions   Questions / Suggestions Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 1:16 pm

I have the Martial trait and I was debating raiding and taking captives but I don't have the slavery trait. Could I still put any prisoners into labor camps?
Back to top Go down
Mille Sessau
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Questions / Suggestions   Questions / Suggestions Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 2:05 pm

Yes but they do not provide any tangible benefits besides fluff for story. Also in the long run if you veer a certain way governments and traits can change.

So if you took 20% of Mabiya's population as slaves in a war, your National Trait would probably become Slavery.

Also, since Ezria does not have slavery, 95% of all Ezrians would detest taking slaves and it would be overly bad for the standing government.
Back to top Go down
Jaymes

Jaymes

PostSubject: Re: Questions / Suggestions   Questions / Suggestions Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 4:03 pm

About the Outlaws and Rebels weakness trait. Does that 5% go into the outlawas and rebels fund instead of me getting it? It'd make for some interesting RP's that's for sure.
Back to top Go down
Ezria

PostSubject: Re: Questions / Suggestions   Questions / Suggestions Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 4:07 pm

I was wondering, wouldn't building either minor or well developed roads boost economic points generated? As obviously better roads mean more trade both internally and externally if a kingdom has a trade agreement. And also can I swap out cultural infertility with the Rebels & Outlaws trait since thing's have changed? I was thinking that the 5% MP loss would represent that a piece of the army either guarding the trade routes or trying to suppress the outlaws / rebels
Back to top Go down
Jaymes

Jaymes

PostSubject: Re: Questions / Suggestions   Questions / Suggestions Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 4:28 pm

Oh jump on the band wagon of Rebels and Outlaws now that Cultural Infertillity is so awfull Lol jk.

But I think it's a little bit much preventing anyone from wanting that trait with the decreas 4 points. maybe something small that still makes it likeable on a more even scale. like decrease 2 instead of 4 for cutural infertillity and/or Corruption down to 2 as well. 4 seems quite a bit overboard. Maybe dark age also down to decrease 1 CP and 1 EP to make it equally appealing also possibly increasing the 5% of rebels and outlaws to 10% that way it's all about even?
Back to top Go down
Ezria

PostSubject: Re: Questions / Suggestions   Questions / Suggestions Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 4:30 pm

Yeah agreed, it's a little..draconian to be honest.
Back to top Go down
Jaymes

Jaymes

PostSubject: Re: Questions / Suggestions   Questions / Suggestions Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 4:43 pm

It is good though that they changed because Cultural Infertility was too good a of weakness trait in my opinion. Heck that's why I was gonna choose it lol. Hopefully though that 5%/10% become rebels and not gaurds because then I could fight against The World every now and then and he control their actions and what not. Be funner I think if they became rebels and outlaws rather then gaurd the road that way you have to have troops gaurd the roads and all that jazz taking away from your main fighting force. Be awesome cuz it'd make it funner for my nation and got a reason for the history which I've yet to write because I'm slow Smile
Back to top Go down
Ezria

PostSubject: Re: Questions / Suggestions   Questions / Suggestions Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 4:44 pm

Yeah cultural infertility was too good to be true. Lmao, it was unbalanced. Kinda glad it got fixed but I disagree. I don't feel like having a festering rebellion in my country every five minutes. xD
Back to top Go down
Jaymes

Jaymes

PostSubject: Re: Questions / Suggestions   Questions / Suggestions Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 4:55 pm

Wouldn't be every five minutes lol. It'd be like every other mod mark lol maybe further apart because the rebels would wait to gain strength and attempt to strike hard and fast. Lol at least that's how I envision it but The World is a really good RPer so doubt he'd make it a constant both just an every now and then problem that had to be delt with.
Back to top Go down
Mille Sessau
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Questions / Suggestions   Questions / Suggestions Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 6:13 pm

My name is Theo by the way! Very Happy

Hurry up with your app Jaymes!

Back to top Go down
Rambo'neil

PostSubject: Re: Questions / Suggestions   Questions / Suggestions Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 11:29 am

hi, i'm still gonna call you Grall btw. i just thought that this game is missing some sort of titan like unit or something so i came up with this

Galleons - 9 military points
super heavy deep water units, functioning under sail power alone and with a deeper hull, cannot move too close to land for fear of beaching the craft. its effectiveness is determined by if the wind and if conditions are favorable, they can be just as fast as a trireme. their extremely heavy capacity means that they are able to support marines for specialized boarding actions although this can sometimes be counterbalanced by their lack of a ram.
*200 sailors (because of the lack of oars that need to be manned) + 150 specialized boarding action marines
*no ram so they are vulnerable to that
*the heavy hull means that it can give a small fleet a run for their money
*the lack of oars means it can mount baliste to damage lighter craft from a distance

its just something, i thought the game was lacking.
Back to top Go down
Mille Sessau
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Questions / Suggestions   Questions / Suggestions Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 11:42 am

I'll take it into consideration! Thank you!

Are you going to make a kingdom, Rambo?
Back to top Go down
Rambo'neil

PostSubject: Re: Questions / Suggestions   Questions / Suggestions Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 12:20 pm

im working on it right now, i also got some other ideas too,

the only reason i need the galleon is because i need a flagship for my fleet, i also want them to characterize my nation
Back to top Go down
Bynaar

Bynaar

PostSubject: Re: Questions / Suggestions   Questions / Suggestions Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 5:50 pm

Before I start making my nation, I'm wondering, will there be demons etc. that can affect your nation? I was maybe thinking of a nation that worshiped like demons and stuff. The demons would not necessarily help the kingdom. It just adds fluff and the reasons why the kingdom does what it does.

Edit: If possible, could there be some trait that allows demonic troops or something similar? Like a trait that allows a maximum of several demon companies. A demon company would be a little bit more powerful than a heavy infantry or something. This trait empowers non-demon soldiers too. The downfall would be to sacrifice a certain amount of population to the demons per week or something. Just a random suggestion.
Back to top Go down
Mille Sessau
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Questions / Suggestions   Questions / Suggestions Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 6:01 pm

Demonology is the last School of Magic that I've yet to add.

Hold yourself together and I'll have it up shortly. It won't be as you envision it though. Here are the spells: Summon Minor Demons, Summon Major Demons, Blood Curse, Bolt of Flame, Rage, and Sacrificial Summoning.

But to make a trait simply for a fluff-based idea is out of the question.
Back to top Go down
Bynaar

Bynaar

PostSubject: Re: Questions / Suggestions   Questions / Suggestions Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 6:27 pm

I wasn't thinking of having magic, more of a small demon supplement to my army. My populace is generally not interested in magic, just getting some help from the things they worship (my populace won't be able to control it, like the demons can provide a company of demons if it's requested and if they feel like it etc.). If you can't implement something like that, it's fine. I'll just make do without it. Of course a purely demon trait wouldn't work, having something similar that will allow angels and other beings would work too.

Like, worshiping demons:
Gain maximum of 3 demon companies, gain small army attack bonus, requires small sacrifice of population.

Worshiping angels:
Gain maximum of 3 angel companies, gain small defensive army bonus, requires intensive worship by some amount of population.

etc. for other things to worship.

like I said, just an idea.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions / Suggestions   Questions / Suggestions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Questions / Suggestions
Page 1 of 15Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next