Warring Fronts RPG Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warring Fronts RPG Forum

Warring Fronts is a medieval fantasy nation RPG forum.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

New Trait Suggestions!

Go down 
+5
Nightshade
Talis
Zhufor
Bynaar
Mille Sessau
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mille Sessau
Admin

New Trait Suggestions! Empty
PostSubject: New Trait Suggestions!   New Trait Suggestions! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 7:33 pm

I need:

1 new National Trait :

1 new Economic Trait :

1 new Social Trait :

and 2 new Weakness Traits :

Any and all suggestions are welcome! Let'em loose!
Back to top Go down
http://warringfronts.forumotion.com
Bynaar

Bynaar

PostSubject: Re: New Trait Suggestions!   New Trait Suggestions! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 10:37 pm

Weakness:
Demonic Terror: For some reason, whether it be from wrong worship of them, from worship of other beings, or simply because they do not like you, demons occasionally terrorize your empire.
-Demons randomly appear and kill civilians.
-Decreases Economic Points by 1 a week.
-Civil Unrest Increases every other week.

(Will edit this with more ideas later, and they won't be related to demons lol)

Back to top Go down
Mille Sessau
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Trait Suggestions!   New Trait Suggestions! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 11:11 pm

Sorry Bynaar. The traits need to be all encompassing, not a trait that you personally want!
Back to top Go down
Bynaar

Bynaar

PostSubject: Re: New Trait Suggestions!   New Trait Suggestions! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 11:14 pm

I actually don't want this one. But okay haha
Back to top Go down
Zhufor

Zhufor

PostSubject: Re: New Trait Suggestions!   New Trait Suggestions! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 11:42 pm

Weakness:
Hated Rivals: Some time in history, these two cultures had a falling out between them. Be it from War, a Trade deal gone wrong, or a simple dislike of each other, these two peoples no longer see eye to eye.
-If this weakness is taken, the chooser must select a race that will become "Hated."
-Any Nation that comprises of a "Hated" Race will have significantly decreased diplomacy.
-Any nation that comprises of a "Hated" Race can never be in a military alliance with the Chooser.

((I think this best applies to Dwarves - Elves, Orcs - Humans, Goblins - Everyone. But, any can work. Depends on the people.))

Last edited by Zhufor on Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mille Sessau
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Trait Suggestions!   New Trait Suggestions! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 11:44 pm

I like the idea but it's a " Maybe" weakness. If you pick Orcs and NO ONE ever has an Orc Kingdom, than you might not have a weakness trait in effect at all.

I might bring back the Opposing Factions Weakness Trait though.
Back to top Go down
Zhufor

Zhufor

PostSubject: Re: New Trait Suggestions!   New Trait Suggestions! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 11:45 pm

Unaware of what that is?
Back to top Go down
Mille Sessau
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Trait Suggestions!   New Trait Suggestions! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 11:46 pm

It was a Weakness Trait from Warring Fronts v1.0

Keep your trait ideas coming. Any and all! If they're good we're using them! Don't be afraid!
Back to top Go down
Mille Sessau
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Trait Suggestions!   New Trait Suggestions! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 12:59 am

Mercantilism is about to get revamped. You still have a chance to change it Zhufor, but it's probably going to lose the +2 bonus while not being traded, though I'm not sure what's going to replace it.

I think right now only Ezria DOESN'T have Mercantilism.
Back to top Go down
Talis
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Trait Suggestions!   New Trait Suggestions! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 2:51 pm

I have to object to Religious being a social trait. Every society has a religion of some kind. The kind and goals change, but even in places where religion is generally taken lightly it still integrates itself into the society's beliefs and morals. The trait should reflect situations where religion is a major cornerstone and policy-changer within a society, rather than just when a society has religion. I would call it something like Devout Nation.

As for suggestions, here are a few:

Economic:
Financing - Kingdoms with the financing trait have developed institutions such as banks, guilds, or corporations. These institutions have the money to fund large expeditions and insure risky endeavors, giving the kingdom an economic edge. However, financing also increases the volatility of the market as money can be gained and lost swiftly.
- Generates 2 Economic Points per week
- Kingdoms with Financing may take out loans (Economic Points) and pay them off at a later date.
- Kingdom has increased market volatility

I really like Financing, it would be a really fun and useful trait to have. I should explain a couple things though:
"Market Volatility" pretty much means that whatever happens, the effect is larger. So if something happens that would usually throw a Kingdom into a minor recession, it might get thrown into a depression instead. You might replace it with "Increases chance of a recession"
"Loans" would basically be borrowing Economic Points from Modmarks or the Kingdom at large. So if a kingdom was at war, they could issue loans or bonds and get some much-needed EP to spend on mercenaries. I think the exact EP given by the loan and the interest rate should be determined in Modmarks and largely based on the state of the economy and people's faith in the government. If that's too complicated you could put a set rule for loans instead:
- Kingdom may loan up to 100 Economic Points for 10% interest per week.
- Kingdoms with high debt have their civil unrest increased

----
Confused Trait:

Environmental Warfare - The kingdom's people have grown familiar with a certain environment. They know how to live and fight in it better than others, which gives them a concrete advantage.
* May choose one of the following Environments. The Kingdom has Improved Martial Prowess and Logistics in that environment, and resources found in this environment provide an extra EP. Your Kingdom MUST be at least half within this environment:
- Desert: Your people are desert people, adept at surviving long periods without water and surviving the burning heat.
- Mountain: Your people are natural mountaineers, able to climb rough slopes and adapt quickly to freezing cold and thin air.
- Tundra: Adept at living in cold and frozen lands, your people will also fare better on winter campaigns in foreign lands.

I'm kind of confused what this one would count as. It's not necessarily all military, but it would have a significant aspect of improving a kingdom's combat capabilities in a certain environement. I suppose it really depends on the benefits. Perhaps national is best, since it would define a general aspect of a kingdom?
I made the different environments based upon the terrain on the map, leaving out seamanship because it would clash with "Master of the Seas" and leaving out temperate/plains/tropical because all that shows up as green on the map. If you wanted to add an environment that covered generally "green" places on the map that would be good.
It's a really fun trait though, would be a nice option for people who wanted their kingdom to be specialized towards a certain region, and would aid more defensive or isolationist factions.

--
National Trait:

Military Engineering - Your kingdom's military has an engineering corpse and is involved in civic improvement when not at war. In peace regiments can be put to use in construction to improve it and provide additional advantages; at war the engineers can use their expertise to build impromptu defenses in hostile territory or besiege enemies. Using an engineering corpse requires additional training for normal troops, and specialized schools for engineers, increasing soldier costs.
* Infantry Companies cost 1 more MP and acquire the following abilities:
- Sapping: Companies dig underneath enemy defenses to try and collapse or bypass them.
- Field Fortress: Companies may construct a Field Fortress with wooden barricades and a ditch at any location
- Civil Construction: Company may be assigned to a construction project, reducing its cost by 2 Economic Points. Assigned Companies may not do anything else for the week or the project is lost.

If you dont use the Military Engineering trait, I would still add all 3 of these options as Military Tactics options, or maybe both (pick 2 or get the whole package kind of deal). Sapping turns infantry units into light siege units, which can be quite useful in desperate circumstances. Field Fortresses (or Fortifications, whatever) would be a useful trick if you want to camp a location in hostile territory, or dig in and defend a remote area on your own land. Civil Construction is a useful little side bonus that makes idle military units useful.

-----
Social Trait:

You're missing the most obvious:

Extreme Patriotism - The kingdom's people are exceedingly proud of their homeland. No matter how much corruption, abuse, or difficulty they may go through, it's still their homeland and they're sticking with it. This patriotism is most apparent during times of war, when the whole kingdom rallies around its leaders.
- civil unrest decreased
- Increases Cultural Points by 1 a week in peacetime
- Increases Cultural Points by 4 a week during wartime

That's all I got for now. I'll try back when I have more.
Back to top Go down
Nightshade

Nightshade

PostSubject: Re: New Trait Suggestions!   New Trait Suggestions! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 11:26 am

New Con:

Arrogance - This race believes themselves to be superior to other races, thus affecting their political power.
* More likely to wage war with other empires.
* Relations are slower to gain and harder to maintain.
* Trade agreements are 30% less profitable than usual.

Last edited by Nightshade on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://s4.zetaboards.com/Realms/index/
Jaymes

Jaymes

PostSubject: Re: New Trait Suggestions!   New Trait Suggestions! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 11:29 am

I'd say 50% instead of 30%. Easier to do 1/2 then 3/10 when you have a lot of nations to keep up with.
Back to top Go down
Nightshade

Nightshade

PostSubject: Re: New Trait Suggestions!   New Trait Suggestions! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 11:39 am

They are already suffering huge relationship penalties as is considering the other 2 factors. The odds on mustering a trade route in the first place makes this con balanced in that matter. More complex, yes, but a bit more balanced.
Back to top Go down
Rambo'neil

PostSubject: Re: New Trait Suggestions!   New Trait Suggestions! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 5:37 pm

how about they only have a chance of getting it decreesed by 50% but if they dont, they still always have 20% at all times
Back to top Go down
Nightshade

Nightshade

PostSubject: Re: New Trait Suggestions!   New Trait Suggestions! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 11:17 am

I preferr... a set figure. Some may not like randomness anyhow.
Back to top Go down
Ezria

PostSubject: Re: New Trait Suggestions!   New Trait Suggestions! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 11:32 am

Umm, you guys are making out Arrogance to be a pretty big weakness trait compared to the cons of other races. I don't see major penalties like that for other species.
Back to top Go down
Nightshade

Nightshade

PostSubject: Re: New Trait Suggestions!   New Trait Suggestions! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 8:38 pm

I have the reverse for that con as well...

Faux Paranara - Their rejection to old empires control and authority has cause them to have a horrific political stance, greatly reducing relationships. This is especially true of at least one kind of government.
* Empires are more likely to wage war versus this one.
* Its much harder for this empire to gain positive relations with others.
* Pick one kind of government that ignores these penalites along with one being a sworn enemy.
Back to top Go down
Mille Sessau
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Trait Suggestions!   New Trait Suggestions! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 11:36 am

I need a racial malus for humans, elves, drow and .. I think that's it. Go!
Back to top Go down
Jaymes

Jaymes

PostSubject: Re: New Trait Suggestions!   New Trait Suggestions! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 3:01 pm

I thought you had one for each already or you changing 'em up or adding an extra one in which case gotta see what dwarves and avians are lol
Back to top Go down
Mille Sessau
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Trait Suggestions!   New Trait Suggestions! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 3:01 pm

You won't like them.

Dwarves cannot purchase cavalry any more.

2 bonus / 2 malus. Smaller though, less tangible effects.
Back to top Go down
Jaymes

Jaymes

PostSubject: Re: New Trait Suggestions!   New Trait Suggestions! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 3:10 pm

Honestly I don't like cav makes my tactics too complicated...why'd you think I sent mine away to the fortress lol.

Malus is smaller...Stubborn was really the small one with the Unable Riders being the tangible one... Arrogant for Avians is similar to Stubborn for dwarves....maybe for them something like fragile, because like hollowed bones similar to birds making them lighter which helps enable them to fly? Slightly high casaulties but aids with their Flight (only effects their warriors though seeing as they're the only flying ones be unreasonable to place it on the whole force)
Back to top Go down
Mille Sessau
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Trait Suggestions!   New Trait Suggestions! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 3:11 pm

Haha. I think that works ; I think it was their original malus in Warring Fronts v1.0
Back to top Go down
Jaymes

Jaymes

PostSubject: Re: New Trait Suggestions!   New Trait Suggestions! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 3:20 pm

Tight, but not for their whole army that'd be unfair cuz they aren't flying and junk hench only ones that fly are ever admited into their warrior units.

Humans...their current ones seems to be more moderator controlled which has tangible effects. Assasinations ect seen some of that or talks of that in some of the mod marks for humans. Maybe something that goes off that as well because human leaders would have human followers they would be swayed be words cuz it's in their nature? Or would that be like a double negative repeating the same thing and not new. Kinda is...

Elves one though seems like the small malus was figured out kinda like Stubborn and Arrogant. Maybe because their elves back breaking labor such as mining they'd have lower yeild of resources like instead of iron providing 10 it provides 8 or something like that? Wouldn't recommend that for halflings although it fits due to smaller stature but their current malus seems like the big one so a small malus would be needed to make it fair with other races...
Back to top Go down
Talis
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Trait Suggestions!   New Trait Suggestions! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 3:23 pm

Since elves are a long-lived race, what about slower population growth? In most lore elves do have fewer children since they live long. It would make sense for them to not grow as fast as short-lived races.

For drow: Light Sensitivity. Drow are used to underground areas and darkness, they don't fight as well in the sun. (reduced combat effectiveness in daylight)
Back to top Go down
Mille Sessau
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Trait Suggestions!   New Trait Suggestions! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 3:23 pm

Hmm.

Ionno.

Humans need a tangible effect one.

Elves need a tangible effect one too.

Halflings need a non-tangible effect one.

Excellent idea Talis.

By the way, check your PM's.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Trait Suggestions!   New Trait Suggestions! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Trait Suggestions!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next