Warring Fronts RPG Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warring Fronts RPG Forum

Warring Fronts is a medieval fantasy nation RPG forum.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Military points is there another use for them?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jaymes

Jaymes

Military points is there another use for them? Empty
PostSubject: Military points is there another use for them?   Military points is there another use for them? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 8:51 am

I was just thinking right now my military all together is a force of over 12,000 dwarves. Within a month if I kept spending my military points for military I'd have an army of over 48,000 Dwarves which is a huge force even with the population max of 125,000. So I was wondering is there a way that MP can be used for other purposes because if we just keep investing in Military we'll soon see the side effects in our economy.

Purhaps instead of just sitting on Military Points for when your army gets killed the Military Points can be used for something else as well. This way it's still being used and no one can just create a huge army after suffering huge casualties. Maybe something like you can invest Military Points into searching for new resource nodes? Or purhaps to sustain your military you must spend x amount of your MP earned a week depending on it's size. Like a 12,000 troop army like my empire has requires 24 MP to keep it maintained or something like that.
Back to top Go down
Mille Sessau
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Military points is there another use for them?   Military points is there another use for them? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 8:58 am

This is a good idea, however.

Army Maintenance is pretty good.

Light Infantry Company -- 1 MP a week to maintain.

Et cetera.

Anybody else have any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
http://warringfronts.forumotion.com
Jaymes

Jaymes

PostSubject: Re: Military points is there another use for them?   Military points is there another use for them? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 4:06 pm

Does MP rollover from week to week? If so can unspent MP also be converted into like EP or CP at a set price? Like 10 MP for 1 CP but 20 MP for 1 EP (seeing as they seem to be more usefull regarding roads, walls, religious stuff, bribing, quieting rioting masses, mercenaries, rewards for villans or enemy leader, repairing the kingdom and many more according to how kingdoms work post)
Back to top Go down
Rambo'neil

PostSubject: Re: Military points is there another use for them?   Military points is there another use for them? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 4:33 pm

you know, i kinda like the idea of turning MP into EP because that means my army gets off its lazy bum and gets to work, i can actually do something. the romans used legionaries to build roads, my kingdom uses it light infantry and navy to defend the merchant marine.

i don't see how it could turn into CP unless your country is really militaristic and it finds relics from old heroes among the soldiers or something. in most cases, you could turn it into EP (see above) and use that on some special Wonder of the World and it would cost both MP to protect the construction site and EP to build it, CP could probably go into lowering the price of the labor force.

on another note, the "wonder" could possibly generate more CP and all that kind of crap theoretically but indirectly turning MP into CP
Back to top Go down
Jaymes

Jaymes

PostSubject: Re: Military points is there another use for them?   Military points is there another use for them? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 4:58 pm

Yea something like that for EP; CP I got no clue but I was just thinking of ways that would force you to be more frugle with your MP points and not just build up an excess. Cuz like me I don't think I'd increase my military large then it is already. I mean heck it's already around 10% of my current population and that is a large military, or I would think so but I'm not 100% sure. That'd leave me with 50 some odd MP that would just accumulate as long as I didn't take heavy casualties. This gives peacefull nations other options to grow. They grow faster but the fall down is their military doesn't grow and they don't have a huge reserve of MP that they can replace their military at the drop of a hat forcing them to be prudent in the decisions. Idk was just thinking along those lines.
Back to top Go down
Bynaar

Bynaar

PostSubject: Re: Military points is there another use for them?   Military points is there another use for them? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 6:14 pm

Maybe the maximum amount of units you can get is 50% of your population. Once you hit the 50% benchmark, it requires you a couple MP to maintain a week and the rest goes into EP. This is so people who have a super large military can't grow at the same rate as a peaceful one economically once the militaristic nation stops getting units.
Back to top Go down
Rambo'neil

PostSubject: Re: Military points is there another use for them?   Military points is there another use for them? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 7:47 pm

Or we could sorta like ... Idk, have the cap at like 20% and past that you must spend 1 mp per 600 or 900 men/dwarves/etc and 1 or 2 EP per 4500 after the cap. I would say that nations with thriving economies can make bigger armies while nations with bigger armies have to convert some mp to ep or risk economic collapse.

Btw how do you get more CP?
Back to top Go down
Talis
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Military points is there another use for them?   Military points is there another use for them? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 7:58 pm

Go with having an upkeep price for maintaining units. It makes sense, it's simple, and it carries a lot of complexity within it.

Plus, it gives you a neat little dichotomy: players who maintain large armies will have less MP in the long run, while factions that don't use their MP can stockpile it and unleash a massive army when they need it, even if said army can't be supported long. It creates an incentive to use every military unit carefully, and to balance having enough soldiers to defend one's kingdom with the desire to stockpile MP against rainy days.

The MP to EP idea could work, but it would give MP focused empires a little bit more of an advantage. It also decreases the value of traits like Professional Army and Veteran Units in favor of things like Conscription.
Back to top Go down
Bynaar

Bynaar

PostSubject: Re: Military points is there another use for them?   Military points is there another use for them? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 8:09 pm

I'd go for having to pay 1 (maybe 2 for some units) MP per company per week to maintain.
Back to top Go down
Jaymes

Jaymes

PostSubject: Re: Military points is there another use for them?   Military points is there another use for them? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 8:48 pm

That's already implimented. It's in that Creating a Kingdom post near military units. But a 50% military cap is far too large the economic consequences would be devesating I'd imagine wouldn't it?

As for giving advantages to strong Military you're probably right. Purhaps different levels. Like if you have a low population (20K - 60K) it's 15 MP = 1 EP. Medium population (60K - 95K) it's 20 mp = 1 EP and then for the last level it's 25 MP for 1 EP. This way it's all relitively even because everyone would be spending MP to maintain their units and then those smaller population who get less mp have a lesser prive for mp and it increases slowly as the population and MP increase like my above example states?
Back to top Go down
Talis
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Military points is there another use for them?   Military points is there another use for them? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 9:24 pm

You really don't need to make a rule about capping military numbers if you have an upkeep cost. The upkeep causes a built-in cap.
Back to top Go down
Jaymes

Jaymes

PostSubject: Re: Military points is there another use for them?   Military points is there another use for them? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 9:28 pm

Talis wrote:
You really don't need to make a rule about capping military numbers if you have an upkeep cost. The upkeep causes a built-in cap.

Your brillant cuz your absolutly right. Never hit me till you wrote it down nice job pointing it out I would have stayed on that whole cap point for...well for a long time if you hadn't lol.
Back to top Go down
Rambo'neil

PostSubject: Re: Military points is there another use for them?   Military points is there another use for them? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 9:57 pm

Yah, you are right but I kinda want my army to pay for itself in the long and short term, I mean, it is just sitting there waiting for me to be invaded. I need to find a way to put those guys to work
Back to top Go down
Jaymes

Jaymes

PostSubject: Re: Military points is there another use for them?   Military points is there another use for them? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 12:36 pm

What about wagons or caravans? Like transports go for the fishing spots and depending on how many transports depends on how much EP you get? What about wagons or caravans or something like that for land locked ppl? Kinda like Warping Empires how they have transports that you have to buy and fill with logistical support we do the same for land stuff that way we choose what support we give possible and another cost/expedenture for MP yes?

Or maybe again throwing the idea of MP being converted into other uses. I mean MP upkeeps and pays for your military so couldn't it be used to aid in the construction of constructs because it's just goverment funding going from the military sector to a civilian project yes? I mean naturally it wouldn't be like one for one trade in value but a set value naturally. And like races that are military dependent like Orcs/orges whatever we have and humans who choose the 2 MP per w/e more MP is required to switch over but like Halflings it's less MP because warring halflings their military wouldn't cost as much so have trade in value for them to be less?

Idk just throwing stuff out there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Military points is there another use for them?   Military points is there another use for them? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Military points is there another use for them?
Page 1 of 1